Friday, January 9, 2009

Eggnog Muffins ~ Healthy Edition


A little over a week into the new year, and I'm doing pretty well with my resolution to BYOB. I've done quite a bit of baking this past week ~ mostly bread for sandwiches and the like, and a couple of demi-baguettes for the freezer. I have some pizza dough proofing for tonight's dinner.

With everyone in my household making an effort to eat a bit healthier this year (or at least this month), my cookies/pastries/cake production has taken a nosedive. Which is fine, of course. Terrific, even. It's not like there aren't plenty of other things to bake, and if my kids are voluntarily cutting down on sugar ~ who am I to complain?

My only quibble with the timing is that there are a few holiday leftovers that I really don't want to throw out. For example, long after the holiday festivities are over, there's always that one last quart of eggnog on the refrigerator shelf. No one's willing to drink it, and the milkshakes and pound cake I typically make with leftover eggnog are not welcome either.

Happily, I've come up with a decent way to use up some ~ 1 1/2 cups ~ of that eggnog and not break anyone's resolution. True, these Eggnog Muffins are not what I'd call health food, but they're a far cry from pound cake. If you want, you can omit the oats, along with 1/4 cup of the eggnog. They'll be a little smoother, but not as virtuous.



Eggnog Muffins ~ with virtue

  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking (not instant) oats

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 1 tablespoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 1/2 cups eggnog (I used light)

  • 1/3 cup oil (or melted butter, cooled)

  • 1 large egg, beaten

  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • Cinnamon-sugar for sprinkling

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 12 regular muffin cups or 6 jumbo.

  2. Place flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Use a whisk to combine the dry ingredients.

  3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggnog, oil, egg, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix or your muffins won't rise properly. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle cinnamon-sugar over each. Bake in preheated over at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Makes 12 regular or 6 jumbo muffins.

Recipe Notes:

  1. You can add chopped toasted pecans, white chocolate chips, dried sweetened cranberries, currants, or golden raisins, if you'd like.

  2. These are super moist. We found that they were delicious as is, even without butter or jam.

18 comments:

glamah16 said...

What do you mean no one will drink it. I love the stuff, but will suffer the weight consequences. Great idea for the muffins.I think I only has 1 glass of it this year.

LisaSD said...

Great idea and unique! They look moist and yummy! Thanks!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

That looks delicious! I love the idea of using up that last bit of eggnog!

justeatfood said...

Those are virtuous! Yum! What a great way to use up that egg nog. It always seems to be one of the last things to disappear doesn't it?! Weird!

emily

Kate said...

I have a one quart container of Lite Eggnog begging to be used before the 15th and then you published this, just for me, I know! Thanks kindly!

Ingrid said...

Yum, eggnog!

Good for you that you guys are trying to cut back!
~ingrid

Sandy Smith said...

~Judy and Emily: Well, finally used up the rest of the eggnog. Now I'm actually beginning to consider going out to see if I can find some more. Sad! But these muffins are starting to grown on me! :)

~Kate: Yes! I did! Consider it a "Welcome to the BYOB event" gesture! ;)

~Ingrid: We really are pretty healthy eaters till about December, then all heck breaks loose! So January calls for some tough love.

ReAnn said...

Hi,
Just curious where the oats are in this one? Am I missing something?!:)

Thanks!

Sandy Smith said...

~ReAnn: An excellent question! :) Thanks so much for pointing this out. I'm not sure what happened! I must have inadvertently deleted that line - a Freudian slip? Who knows?! But it's fixed now, so thanks again for your eagle eye on this one!

Renee said...

I copied down this recipe BEFORE you fixed it and added the oats, and I was just stopping by to say that they were delicious and a perfect way to use up the rest of the eggnog. They were so light and fluffy. I'm worried that the oats would weigh them down a bit, but I do have some eggnog left, so maybe I will try it with the oats and see how it goes! Thank you!

Sandy Smith said...

~Renee: Glad you liked the muffins! The oats do change the texture, but the muffins are still pretty light. They're not "sinkers" ~ they should still rise nice and high for you. They'll just have a chewy bits in there, from the oats. The picture is actually of the version with oats, so you can see that it still has a pretty open crumb.

If you end up making the oat version, let me know what you think!

Jamie said...

I found your recipe today and I made your muffins tonight, I used regular eggnog though hehe. They were SO yummy and I made extras for my co-workers! Thanks for sharing!!!!http://crazyjamie.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/eggnog-muffins/

Susan said...

Oh My gosh! these sound delicious! I will be picking up some eggnog on the way home.

Aileen said...

I liked the muffins but not the oats - they gave a chewy unpleasant texture and I think some chopped nuts or dried cranberries would be preferable if you want a texture contrast. Froze my left over eggnog to try again later without the oats.

Anonymous said...

These were great! I baked per directions and used homemake lite eggnog that had brandy and whiskey in it (2010 Cooking Light magazine recipe). I sprinkled the top with oats and cinnamon sugar. Will definitely keep this recipe. I love the oats in the muffins.

Anonymous said...

These were great! I baked per directions and used homemake lite eggnog that had brandy and whiskey in it. I sprinkled the top with oats and cinnamon sugar. Another change I did was adding the spices to the dry ingredients for better distribution. Will definitely keep this recipe. I love the oats in the muffins. Next time I would try subbing some wheat flour.

Gillian said...

I just made these and they turned out great! I used half white flour and half whole wheat flour. I also omitted the oats from the batter but added them to the cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top. They're light and fluffy and taste delicious!

Sandy Smith said...

Gillian,
So glad you liked these! Thanks for your comment, and Happy New Year!
~ Sandy

Share This