Thursday, March 12, 2009

Easiest Corn Bread/Muffins

corn muffins

I can’t remember when I started making this corn bread recipe from the back of the Quaker yellow corn meal canister. I do know it’s been years and years, and I know that I’ve never looked elsewhere for a basic, no-fail corn bread recipe.

This is the first thing I taught my kids to bake independently, and I love it because not only is it really, really good, but it’s so simple that you can whip it up in less time than it takes to form the thought, Hmmm, you know what would go really well with this chili? Some nice hot corn bread, fresh from the oven.

This corn bread has a subtle sweetness that complements spicy foods like chili, barbecued meats, or pulled pork. If you want to play around with the amount of sugar in the recipe, feel free, but don’t omit it altogether. (Voice of experience speaking here.)

If we’re serving a crowd, I double the recipe and make corn muffins, which cuts a few minutes off the baking time. Leftovers freeze well, or you can enjoy them toasted with butter and jelly or honey for breakfast the next morning.

Easiest Corn Bread

~Recipe from Quaker

  • 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cups corn meal
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg, beaten

    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan or 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.

    Combine dry ingredients; make a well in the middle. Combine wet ingredients and pour into dry ingredients. Stir just until the dry mixture is moistened and no lumps remain. Do not overmix.

    Pour batter into prepared pan or spoon into muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes for cornbread or 15 to 20 minutes for muffins. Corn bread/muffins are done when tops are beginning to brown, edges are golden, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

    Makes 9 servings/12 muffins

  • 6 comments:

    Elyse said...

    I'm so excited to add this simple corn bread recipe to my repertoire!! I'm a total corn bread lover but had yet to find a fail proof recipe--until your post!! Your description sounds so fabulous, and those pics are just amazing!!

    sdfiek said...

    I've been making corn bread with the recipe off the Albers yellow corn meal package for years - sounds almost identical, except that it uses one cup each flour and cornmeal. I usually substitute whole wheat for white flour and it rises well, and gets a little extra fiber into the family. As long as there's still butter and honey on hand, no one minds! When I'm REALLY pressed for time, I make it in a 8x8 pan instead of muffin tins.

    Liz C said...

    Ah yes, it's a classic! I , too, use 1 c of each. Although in recent years I've been using a modified version of a recipe I got from Cook's Illustrated, I think. It calls for some frozen corn, which I like, and the method is different, but I should compare the two and see how different they really are.

    Jillian said...

    I love cornbread. I never measure ingredients, just guess at the amounts. It's something I watched my Aunt Mary (the cook of the family) do over and over as a child. These look really good!

    Lisa said...

    My father is a huge fan of cornbread and I always try to bake one for him whenever we see my parents. He has yet to be fully blown away by any of the recipes i've tried. Simplicity is key, and yours looks perfect! Can't wait to try it :)

    Rumela said...

    I like this muffins recipe. these muffins/corn bread is sure to taste great and are extremely nutritious as well.I am going to bake a batch for the holidays when my kids will be at home. I'll be sure that what they are eating is healthy.

    Share This