Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lime Melting Moments

Stack When I first came across this recipe, I had no idea that “melting moments” was an actual type of cookie. I thought it was just a cute name that had been given to these exceptionally tender cornstarch shortbreads. All it took was a little bit of research to discover otherwise. Now I’m wondering how I’ve lived this long ~ and read as many cookie recipes as I have ~ without learning this critical fact! So much lost time to make up for!

These delicate lime cookies came about after I stumbled across this recipe for Strawberries and Cream Melting Moments on one of my favorite food blogs, No Recipes. Those pretty pink sandwich cookies looked so delectable to me, I craved them immediately. I could practically taste that magical combination of tender shortbread and buttercream ~ it was love at first sight.

I rifled through my cabinets, searching for ingredients to make these work. Although I could come up with no desiccated strawberries, I did have something else to experiment with.

I have a bag of King Arthur Flour’s fabulous lime juice powder, and a bottle of their pure lime oil, neither of which I’d ever used before. They were just sitting there, patiently waiting to find their way into something wonderful and perfect for a spring dessert.

plate These Lime Melting Moments are elegant and refined-tasting. They'll be perfectly at home on even the most uppity bone china saucer at teatime. But they’re also perfect for popping in your mouth straight out of the refrigerator, too. Please though, do exercise caution: these are highly addictive.

I’m excited to play around with the basic formula ~ there are so many possible flavors and flavoring agents available. In the meantime, have a go at these, and enjoy!

cookies-close

Lime Melting Moments

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon KAF lime powder (or to taste)
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

Lime Buttercream Filling:

  • 1/3 cup (about 5 tablespoons) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon KAF lime oil
  • Green food color gel, if desired
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, or an electric hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until very pale and fluffy. Sprinkle the lime powder over and mix to incorporate.
  3. Sift the cornstarch and half of the flour into the mixing bowl and beat until combined. Sift the remaining flour into the dough and beat until just incorporated. {Taste a small piece of the dough. It should have a pleasing and recognizable lime flavor. Don’t go overboard with the lime powder or your cookies will take on a sour taste.}
  4. Using a teaspoon-sized cookie scoop or a small melon baller, scoop balls of dough into the palm of your hand and roll into nicely shaped spheres. Place the dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Leave about 2 inches between each ball of dough. Carefully press the balls into 1/4-inch thick patties with your fingers.
  5. Bake in the center of your oven for about 15 minutes, but do not let the cookies brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for a minute on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the cookies have been baked.
  6. To make the Lime Buttercream Filling: Beat softened butter, confectioner’s sugar, and lime oil together using an electric hand mixer or a whisk until smooth and fluffy. Add a little bit of food color, if desired, and whisk again. Taste and adjust lime oil, if necessary.
  7. When the cookies are completely cool, spread buttercream on the flat (bottom) surface of one cookie and top with another cookie to form a sandwich, top surfaces facing out.
  8. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

cookie

11 comments:

Maria said...

We love lime treats at our house! I can't wait to try these!

kellypea said...

Well these sound completely dangerous. I've never heard of them! And the possibilities seem endless...I can just imagine the flavor.

The Duo Dishes said...

They're beautiful cookies. The fact that they're addictive would not keep us away.

haleysuzanne said...

These cookies are completely delightful. I love meltaway-style cookies, but I've never made a plain one with a buttercream filling. Looks like it's time for the first round!

Elyse said...

Oh man, these melting moments look fabulous!! I'm so intrigued by lime juice powder. How cool! Your pictures are making me crave these little morsels. I'm definitely going to have to try the recipe out soon!

Diana H said...

Wow, these cookies are really fantastic looking and sounding. Great job!

RecipeGirl said...

Lovely cookies, and you know... I actually have some of that Lime Oil in my cupboard!!

Robin Sue said...

These look so pretty and delcious. Lime is so good and reminds me of summer-time!

Baking and Mistaking said...

Oooh these look good. I've actually tried melting moments before, with disastrous results (you can check my blog for that) but I'll still try try again! Though I probably would want to try these with the strawberry. I did just have a lime cheesecake this morning. Mmmmm.

Mermaid Sweets said...

Lime powder, I have to try that. Look like great cookies.

nora@ffr said...

Fantastic! These delightful cookies look wonderful! cant wait to try this out :)
cheers!!

Share This