Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The 12 Cookies of Christmas Kicks Off Today!

It's that time again ~ the 12 Cookies of Christmas have arrived! I'm excited . . . and I know my fellow cookie bakers in our mad little group are very excited too. We've got 12 Days of Cookies for you, and trust me, you won't want to miss a single post. There are a lot of cookies to cover!

Last year we baked Gourmet; this year all our cookies will be chosen from Bon Appetit. Below you'll find a list of our illustrious, industrious group members:

Andrea of Andrea's Recipes (honorary member and our founder but not participating this year)
Claire of The Barefoot Kitchen
Courtney of Coco Cooks
Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook
Judy of No Fear Entertaining
Kelly of Sass & Veracity
Michelle of Big Black Dog
RJ of Flamingo Musings
Sandy of At the Baker's Bench
Tiffany of The Nesting Project

Each day for the first 12 days of December, each one of us will choose a recipe from the Bon Appetit feature, make the cookies, and post about it on our own blog. We don't tell each other our plans in advance, so it's always a surprise ~ you may find us all baking the same cookie one day, each of us baking something different the next. Part of the fun is seeing everyone's interpretation of the recipes.

For Day 1 of the 12 Cookies of Christmas, I chose the Pecan Lace Sandwich Cookies with Orange Buttercream. I like lace cookies in general: they're easy to make and always a crowd pleaser. I ground the pecans in my mini-processor (which I love for this task) and the texture was perfect.

The batter wasn't hard to work with, though it did get quite stiff as it cooled. Don't let that worry you ~ carve out little pieces of batter with a teaspoon and carry on; the cookies will come out just fine.

I like the bright orange flavor of the buttercream but found it to be a bit sweet in combination with the caramelized-sugar lace cookies.

To provide a bit of contrast, I painted one side of the sandwich with dark chocolate (I used Taza brand) and the other side with buttercream, then sandwiched them together once the chocolate had cooled. My testers voted this combination ideal, and I think I'd go with it in the future as well.

I rate this recipe a keeper, and it's going into my file of holiday cookie staples. Impressive to look at and a hit with guests.

Don't forget to visit the other group members' sites to see the cookies they chose today, and stop by tomorrow for Cookie 2 of The 12 Cookies of Christmas!

5 comments:

Di said...

Ooh, those look great! I love your idea of adding the dark chocolate. These are on my list to make, hopefully when I'm off on Thursday, so thanks for the tips.

glamah16 said...

I did this one over the weekend and agree about the buttercream. i really feel the cookie could stand alone. But I love your idea of the chocolate brush.That should round out the flavors nicely.
Thanks for rounding us up this year and organizing it. I'm crazed, but feel a deep sense of accomplishment when its all done.

RJ Flamingo said...

The chocolate addition to this is inspired - I've always loved that combination! Still can't decide between these and the other ones... hmmm. Yours look totally yummy.

Michelle said...

I think I'm going to change my list and make some of the wafer-like cookies. Just the crunch is worth it to me!

Rosy said...

I love the addition of chocolate. Great idea....

Share This