Monday, December 14, 2009

12 Days of Cookies ~ Days 6, 7, 8, and 9

So, um, we have some catching up to do. And that means that instead of bringing you one cookie today, I'm bringing you a whole cookie platter!


Chocolate and Almond Dipped Sandwich Cookies ~ Day 6

I took a lot of license with this recipe. Not that I didn't like the original as presented, on the contrary, I liked it very much. Unfortunately, though, the dough was difficult to work with. Like a lot of butter-rich cookie doughs, this one required chilling at every step of the process: before rolling, during rolling, after rolling, after cutting, etc. After one batch, I realized that staying up till 2:00 a.m. rolling out cookies was not in my game plan, so I cut small circles and pressed them into a greased mini-muffin pan. After chilling these, I baked them to form cookie cups, which I piped full of Nutella (aka, dessert in a jar). Heavenly. And with much less effort required.Win-win.



Chocolate-Glazed Mocha Fans ~ Day 7

This recipe is a winner all the way around. It comes together in moments, bakes up in one batch, is incredibly easy to cut and handle, and offers flexibility for decorating. (The original recipe calls for edible gold leaf. I drizzled mine with semisweet and white chocolates instead.) Best? It looks and tastes like something you would purchase in a high-end bakery. Which makes it perfect for bringing to those holiday parties where you have to impress someone or where you just don't have time to fool around with chilling/rolling/chilling/cutting/etc. A standout.


Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies ~ Day 8

These are a cute addition to your cookie plate, especially if you're making cookies with kids in mind. In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that my testers weren't overly enthusiastic about the flavor of the mint in this cookie. My teenage son, who nevertheless consumed about a third of the batch, compared them to "a bad reality show you just can't tear yourself away from." (I will add that he felt similarly about these cookies, which he compared to "eating a brownie after you've just brushed your teeth" ~ he ate the majority of that batch too.)


Hazelnut Shortbread Sticks ~ Day 9

These are by far one of my favorite cookies ~ in this series and in general. Crunchy hazelnut shortbread with milk chocolate. Score! This one goes into my permanent collection.


So, now that you've seen what I've been baking . . . why don't you visit the rest of the gang and check out their cookie platters?


Andrea of Andrea's Recipes (honorary member and our founder but not participating this year)
Claire of The Barefoot Kitchen
Courtney of Coco Cooks
Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook
Judy of No Fear Entertaining
Kelly of Sass & Veracity
Michelle of Big Black Dog
RJ of Flamingo Musings
Sandy of At the Baker's Bench
Tiffany of The Nesting Project

6 comments:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

LOL!!! You have been busy! i seem to be stuck on Day 10. I have every good intentions every single day but for some reason they don't get made!

I am with you on the chocolate wedge cookies. They really are the best!!!

KiraAJ said...

MMMMM they all look delish! Im sitting here waiting for my gingersnaps to cook in the oven and thought id see what everyone was up to :)

Di said...

I have to echo Judy--wow, you've been busy! =) Everything looks wonderful. I wish my mocha fans had turned out nicely like everyone else's. Not sure why I had so much trouble with that recipe as written.

kellypea said...

First of all, your son needs to do stand up. He's completely hilarious. And whoa on the cookies. Love your adaptation of the almond dipped cookies. They're gorgeous and that dough -- as big a pain as it was -- was delicious, so good save there. I thought about doing one of these multi-cookie posts, but I'm seriously into self-torture. : )

RJ Flamingo said...

Nice! I appreciate your comments about some of these - I was thinking about those chocolate fans... yours look fabulous!

And I totally agree about the hazelnut shortbread cookies - those and the the biscotti are definitely going into the permanent personal collection!

glamah16 said...

Now that's a platter! I like the license you took.

Share This