Tuesday, December 1, 2009

BYOB Roundup ~ December 2009

I almost can't believe that with this roundup, we've come through an entire year of Baking Our Own Bread (and many, MANY other things). It's safe to say that my relationship with baking has changed a lot of things in my life over the past year, personally and professionally, and in some weird and unanticipated ways. For example ~ as I write the introduction to the final roundup of 2009, I have close to 200 pounds of flour, at least seven different types, in my house. That might be considered extreme home baking, and that's what this year has brought me to. And, I have to tell you, I am in love with it.

So, without further delay, let me show you the art and talents of others in our BYOB group. Others who've also fallen in love with the rise and fall of dough, the smell of warming spices drifting from a rarely cool oven, the texture of beaten butter growing pale and light with air. (And who may or may not have a couple hundred pounds of flour in their basement.)

Cathy of The Bread Experience has been keeping her oven warm with a parade of oven love: Portuguese Sweet Bread (BBA), Cinnamon Pumpkin Crescent Rolls, Braided Holiday Pumpkin Wreath, Poolish Baguettes (BBA), Pizza Napoletana (BBA). Don't you wish you were her neighbor?

Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook got creative with this gorgeous Danish Braid, which she will be (hopefully) bringing to my house if we ever get together for coffee. Or, I guess, she could bring this insanely delicious-looking Cranberry Fudge Brownie Torte (TWD), because I am willing to be that flexible. Wow, Di.

Kira of A Homesick Aussie has some gorgeous breads for us! She's got a Whole Wheat 10+ Grains that makes you feel virtuous just looking at it! And be sure to check out her lovely from-scratch Sourdough . . . mmmm. Last but not least, she's made Pizza and Stromboli ~ two subjects very near and dear to my heart.

Sarah of Que Sarah Sarah has baked a perfectly shaped loaf of Sandwich Bread ~ bakery perfect! This loaf wouldn't last half an hour in my house; my teens would be on it in a heartbeat.

And never ones to disappoint, Chrystal and Amir of The Duo Dishes bring it big-time for our final 2009 roundup: Pear and Walnut Coffee Cake, Spiced Walnut and Maple Cream Cake, Apple Turnovers, Rosemary Breadsticks, 1-2-3-4 Cake with Chocolate Sour Cream Cheese Frosting, Cranberry Walnut Pumpkin Bread, Chocolate Chip Cookie Pizza, and Spiced Pumpkin Cake with Brown Sugar Maple Icing. See what I mean?

Happy holidays, all . . . God bless you and keep you, and may you give and receive much oven love!

~Sandy

5 comments:

Di said...

Thanks for another great round-up, Sandy! And thank you so much for inspiring me to BYOB. It's amazing how much I've done this year, and I'm certainly not going to stop now. =) On to next year, and more baking adventures!

KiraAJ said...

Its been an awesome yr baking wise i am so glad i took the chance and started baking! If i hadnt of found your blog i would have not come this far i dont think :) thank you so much Sandy!

glamah16 said...

I wish I could 200 lbs of flour! Great roundup.

Cathy (breadexperience) said...

Such beautiful breads! Thanks for hosting the BYOB roundup and thanks for letting me get in on all the fun! Here's to another year of bread-baking fun!

Shelle said...

Oh my gosh...I don't believe I just found your blog as your finishing your project....oh well I'll just have to be a year behind lol. I love baking bread.

Share This