Friday, December 4, 2009

Chocolate Mint Cookies ~ Day 3 of the 12 Days of Cookies


These Chocolate Mint cookies were a high priority for me from the moment I saw them in the Bon Appetite cookie slide show. Chocolate and mint is one of my favorite combinations, and a classic pairing for wintertime desserts. The recipe was an interesting one to work with. Raw, the dough is dense and velvety. It looks like fudge or fondant, and tastes like it as well.

There is one thing I'd do differently at the prep stage, and that is to roll and shape the dough logs more carefully before refrigerating or freezing. I did this part carelessly, assuming I'd fix it later, before cutting. Not so much. That log of dough is pretty dense and hard to roll, and you really don't want to soften it too much or it will spread out on the sheet while baking. So, make sure your cookies are nice and pretty (that is, shape and round your dough logs conscientiously) before you chill them.

I underbaked these by a couple of minutes, and the texture is fantastic. The mint is present but not overpowering. I didn't drizzle my cookies, preferring to have a more assertive chocolate presence. Instead, I frosted them with melted semisweet chocolate, then drizzled them with melted milk chocolate to which I added a bit of mint extract. On a few of the cookies, I skipped the drizzle altogether and sprinkled the tops with crushed candy canes for color.



Store these by themselves to avoid imparting a hint of mint to the rest of your cookies, and enjoy them with a hot cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk.

Now go and see what the rest of the gang is up to!
Andrea of Andrea's Recipes (honorary member and our founder but not participating this year)
Claire of The Barefoot Kitchen
Courtney of Coco Cooks
Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook
Judy of No Fear Entertaining
Kelly of Sass & Veracity
Michelle of Big Black Dog
RJ of Flamingo Musings
Sandy of At the Baker's Bench
Tiffany of The Nesting Project

7 comments:

RJ Flamingo said...

Love the crushed peppermints on top! I'm showing these today, too, but I think I was obsessed with getting them to look just like the ones in BA, so I attempted the straight-up drizzle. Not so much. :-) Yours are beautiful!

(psst! This is Day 4. You have 2 Day 2's)

Michelle said...

Chocolate and peppermint is such a perfect combination and one of my favorites.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Those look so pretty! Love how you decorated them!

Di said...

The more I see these, the more I think I need to make them. I like your frosting much better than the drizzle on the ones in the slide show.

Rosy said...

What a great idea to do a Holiday take on the these cookies. Beautiful! I love seeing our different takes on these recipes. SO FUN!

glamah16 said...

You sold me! They look luscious!

kellypea said...

I happen to have 3 of these sitting right in front of me and am reaching for one ; ) Nice recipe, I think, and I like what you did with them. The crushed peppermint makes them very festive.

Share This