Thursday, December 3, 2009

Lime Snowballs ~ Day 2 of the 12 Days of Cookies

When I first saw this recipe for Lime Snowballs in the Bon Appetit cookie slide show we are choosing our recipes from, I immediately associated it with cookies I baked for last year's 12 Days event, the Pastelitos de Boda, or Bride's Cookies. That was a nut-flavored cookie, but similarly rich and buttery, and also coated in a heavy layer of confectioner's sugar.

Like that cookie, I flattened this one ~ the original recipe calls for it to be formed in a little ball. I prefer the flattened, patty shape, and it's easier to eat, especially with all that powdered sugar.

This cookie contains lime zest, lime juice, and lime oil ~ three potent citrus flavoring agents ~ and the lime flavor is perfectly balanced, not overwhelming at all, which I feared might be the case. I'm not inclined to tweak the amounts of any of these agents at all.

The texture of this cookie is interesting ~ lighter and more airy than a shortbread cookie, but richer and more tender than a butter cookie. I guess I'd place it somewhere between a shortbread and a melting moment.

The only changes I made to the recipe were those of technique. As mentioned, I flattened the cookies rather than shaping them as balls, and I let them cool before dusting them with powdered sugar. My favorite way to sugar cookies, by the way, is to fill a tea-steeping spoon with powdered sugar and use that to dust the cookies. Alternatively, I fill a small resealable plastic bag with powdered sugar and add a few cookies at a time, shaking them to coat. Both methods work very well and don't leave everything dusted with a layer of sugar.

I would make these again, and particularly in the springtime, with lime again or even lemon, orange, or grapefruit.

Don't forget to stop by and check out what the other group members have created today!



Andrea of Andrea's Recipes (honorary member and our founder but not participating this year)
Claire of The Barefoot Kitchen
Courtney of Coco Cooks
Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook
Judy of No Fear Entertaining
Kelly of Sass & Veracity
Michelle of Big Black Dog
RJ of Flamingo Musings
Sandy of At the Baker's Bench
Tiffany of The Nesting Project

5 comments:

Di said...

I really loved these, and they've been a hit with everyone who's tasted them. I love the lime, but I want to try these with other flavors as well.

glamah16 said...

I really need to get my lime oil. I see now I cant skip it and add more zest. Yum.

The Duo Dishes said...

Seen these with lemon before too, and they always sound good. Must be the love of citrus that makes it so!

Michelle said...

This looks so good and I can't wait to make them. Always have trouble with rolling in powdered sugar but yours look so nicely done!

Gretchen Noelle said...

These would be my weakness. Yum!

Share This