Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Orange-Almond Lace Cookies ~ Day 4 of the 12 Cookies of Christmas

I'm a fan of lace cookies, so I was excited to make these Orange-Almond Lace Cookies from the Bon Appetit cookie slide show, even though I'd taken on the Pecan Lace Sandwich Cookies just a couple of days earlier. For one thing, these were made with almonds, and they were spiked with orange ~ a combination of flavors that I always find difficult to resist.

To shake things up a little, I turned most of this batter into tuiles. The only thing that made them different from the flat lace cookies was that while they were still hot on the sheet pan, I removed them with a thin metal spatula and molded them over my rolling pin to set until cool. When cool, they retained this classic tuile shape.


The taste of these is really good ~ rich, buttery, with orange and almond in balance. The texture was a little vexing; the edges kept wanting to break off and the centers were thick on a few of them.

Overall, I doubt I'd make them again. Though the taste was excellent, I've got other tuile recipes I prefer, and I liked the texture of the Pecan Lace cookies better ~ finer and somehow less fragile. I will probably crush the remainder of these into crumbs for ice cream topping, a prospect I find really appealing at the moment.

Now that you've seen mine, why don't you treat yourself and go see what the rest of the gang is up to?

Andrea of Andrea's Recipes (honorary member and our founder but not participating this year)
Claire of The Barefoot Kitchen
Courtney of Coco Cooks
Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook
Judy of No Fear Entertaining
Kelly of Sass & Veracity
Michelle of Big Black Dog
RJ of Flamingo Musings
Sandy of At the Baker's Bench
Tiffany of The Nesting Project

4 comments:

Di said...

I like the tuile shapes--I did that this morning with a few of my pecan lace cookies. Good idea to use them for ice cream topping--I wouldn't have thought of that.

Michelle said...

Darn...I can't get your pictures to load!

But I love tuiles, such a delicate cookie in such a graceful shape!

glamah16 said...

Great idea to form Tuilles!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Great idea to make Tuilles from them! I really liked the lace cookies from this bunch!

Share This