Friday, January 1, 2010

BYOB 2010

Happy New Year! It's hard to believe that a year of BYOB has gone by already. In some ways, it feels like I was just formulating this project a month ago, weighing the pros and cons and deciding to take the plunge. In other ways, it seems like I've always been baking my own breads . . . it's that much a part of my family's lifestyle now.

So, here we are in 2010, ready to begin year 2 of baking all are own breads, rolls, cakes, and so forth. If you're new to baking bread, this is a great way to jump in. There's nothing quite as effective at improving your skills as necessity. When you feel like eating a baguette and know that it's got to come out of your own oven, that's a pretty successful motivator to learn how to bake a decent baguette. If you're an experienced baker, you probably already know that baking all your own breads is a terrific way to build your repertoire and your confidence.

If you already are a part of BYOB, thank you for participating in 2009 and I look forward with great anticipation to sharing (visually, anyway) your wonderful breads and pastries in 2010. If you'd like to join us on our "Bake Your Own Bread" adventure, please do! As with last year, the commitment is a personal one: to bake as many of your own baked goods as possible. There may be times when you'll choose to rely on store-bought products, and that's fine. You may have a bagel place you simply can't live without visiting, and that's okay too. This goal is a dynamic one, meant to enhance your life, not add more stress to it.

If you're interested in joining us, send me an e-mail at Sandycastle1 [@] gmail [dot] com and I'll send you the specifics. You can link to At the Baker's Bench on your blog, and I'll add you to the blog roll. What you bake and how often you bake are up to you and the needs of your family. There are no deadlines for posting, though I do a monthly roundup on the first of each month. We'll have our first BYOB 2010 post on February 1, 2010.

If you have questions regarding this event ~ or baking in general ~ feel free to e-mail me and I'll answer them as quickly as possible.

Here's to a year of much oven love in your life! Happy New Year!

Best,
Sandy

9 comments:

Di said...

Woo hoo! Excited to be starting a new year of BYOB. I just spent my Christmas money on a couple of new bread books today. =)

TeaLady said...

ANother great year of great bread. Yup!! I'm in - again.

Rosemary & Garlic said...

I have been so tempted to do this. Do you find yourself making rolls for the freezer for those spontaneous we're having sloppy jos night or are you so organized, you don't have those nights?

Sandy Smith said...

Rosemary and Garlic: Hahahaha! If you have rolls in your freezer to pull out for spontaneous meals than you ARE organized, in my book!! Join us! Trust me, there's no pressure and it's very rewarding.

And yes, I do have rolls and loaves of bread in my freezer, and I have dough at the ready in my fridge.

"Organized" is a relative term, but I'm striving!

Best,
Sandy

KiraAJ said...

Im in again as well! It was an awesome yr last yr!

Shelle said...

so glad you're continuing this...as i just tuned in at the end of last year...my oven's broken...but i'm sure i can utilize my bread machine

Jennifer said...

Last year was a lot of fun! I'm excited to try more things this year.

Rosemary & Garlic said...

I'd love to give it a try.

symphonious sweets said...

I can not believe it has been a year! I have been baking along with you and will continue into 2010. I have decided to expand into making my own crackers too! I am posting thos under the BYOB header. I noticed you are posting roundups should I send you a link when I actually post a byob blog post?

Share This