Saturday, April 10, 2010

BYOB ~ April 2010 Roundup

Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook made some really gorgeous Hard Rolls (BBA) and a picture-perfect Light Wheat Sandwich Loaf. This is what BYOB is all about, guys!

Kira of Blogs from a Homesick Aussie brings us a yummy Irish Soda Bread and some pretty indulgent-looking Buttermilk Scones with Cream and Jam. If you're on a diet, I strongly suggest you have a salad in hand before clicking the scones link.

Cathy of The Bread Experience strives to keep us (virtually) well fed with an entire buffet of baked goods: Grilled Pizza (BBA), Tuscan Bread, Pesto and Pine Nut Focaccia, Irish Soda Bread, Roasted Onion and Asiago Miche (my heart be still!). Wouldn't you love to be this woman's neighbor?

Frieda of Lovin' from the Oven turned out some pretty darn amazing Homestyle Flour Tortillas as well as a whole wheat version ~ and both look just incredible. I've gotta say that I, for one, am VERY excited about this because to this point, tortillas have been one of the very few things that I've excluded from my BYOB project. Why? Who knows? I don't even like store-bought tortillas ~ they smell weird when you heat them up, they always stick together in the package, and I never have them on hand when I want to make burritos. I can't wait to BYOB tortillas! Vamanos a cocina!

And ~ as if that weren't good enough ~ Leslie of La Cocina de Leslie brings us Corn Tortillas and Gorditas!! Please tell me, can it get any better than that this month? Oh, yes, it can! Because she's also offering dessert: Pineapple Upside-Down Cake (*swoon*) and Chocoflan . . . a special celebration cake from Mexico that uses cajeta, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite indulgences in the world. (*double swoon*) And congrats to Leslie on her new domain name! Love the new look, Leslie!
 
Margaret of Tea and Scones serves up some lovely Kaiser Rolls (BBA). She uses the knotting technique to shape these, and I'm tellin' you . . . you're not going to find prettier rolls in a New York deli. Go, see!

Sophie of Sophie's Foodiefiles has this incredible talent for making healthy food sound decadent. Case in point: Wholemeal Spelt Chocolate Ricotta Muffins with Dark Chocolate Chips. And not only are they good for you, but these muffins are absolutely adorable because she's made them in the most precious molds. Just beautiful!

Andrea of Family & Food has kept her oven on overdrive lately! Check out her oven love: Pan Suave, a Cuban egg bread; Whole Wheat Bread (BBA); Potato, Cheddar, and Chive Torpedos (BBA); Financiers au Chocolat; Sauteed Onion and Parmesan Miche (BBA ~ and Andrea caps off the challenge with this entry!); Irish Lace Cookies; Hot Cross Buns (Mellow Bakers, BBD); Orange Tian (Daring Bakers); Swedish Crispbread; Gluten-Free Hearty Kneaded Sandwich Bread (BBB); and Pugliese Pizza Buns (BBD). Wow!
 
As for me . . .
It's been a pretty busy baking month, with Easter and all. Breadwise, I've been making the usual peasant loaves for sandwiches and I've thrown a few fluffy white loaves in just for fun and toast. For Easter I made tarts with orange and lemon curd, carrot cake, and egg-shaped petit fours from genoise with lemon buttercream in the middle. All fun stuff and fairly simple. I'm hoping to post those later this week (she said optimistically). 
Enjoy your spring and if you dislike a hot kitchen during the summer months, bake now for the freezer!
Cheers,
Sandy

3 comments:

Frieda said...

Perfect timing! Just looking the whole Internet over to find the 'right' recipe and technique for corn tortillas....Thanks!

Di said...

Great round-up, Sandy! I really want to try tortillas, too.

Sophie said...

What a beautiful & ooh so tasty round up, Sandy!!

Many greets from sunny Brussels!

Share This