Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cookies We Love: Krumkakes

For week 2 of the Cookies We Love challenge, I chose Krumkakes (Norwegian Wafer Cookies). They sounded so good, "light and crisp and perfumed with cardamom," that I added these to my list right away. Regardless of the fact that I do not own, nor do I know anyone who owns, a krumkake maker.

Where there's a will, there's a way, right? Also, I know that my mom happens to own a pizzelle press, and I figured that would be good enough.

In the interest of holiday spirit, I'll skip the fussing and fuming and just share a few tips with you that I learned from this particular piece of fieldwork:

  1. Lubricate the preheated grids well. Then lubricate them again. And one more time. 
  2. If you fail to comply with step one, you will need wet paper towels, a clean pastry brush, and a bamboo kebab stick, plus a perfectly good afternoon, to steam-clean and evacuate the grids. 
  3. Don't skimp on the lube. 
  4. Rolling these into cones without a krumkake roller is tough. Consider making lovely flat cookies or small waffle bowls. 
These are really tasty ~ they are exactly as described, light and crisp with a delicate cardamom flavor. They break easily, so store them carefully. I made waffle bowls by putting a warm krumkake in a small bowl and gently nestling an identical small bowl on top of the first to press it into a bowl shape. Cool completely before storing.
Click here for the recipe, and don't forget to check out what the other bakers are baking!

6 comments:

Di said...

Cool! I really want to make these, but I don't have access to a Krumkake iron or a pizzelle maker. Maybe someday...

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Oh I love these! I am trying to figure out how to make these without the tools. LOL! Beautiful!

RJ Flamingo said...

Because I am completely and totally insane, I bought a krumkake baker from Amazon as soon as I saw this recipe. I figured I can make ice cream cones in the summer, or maybe cannoli, too. I told you I'm insane! And it's still sitting in the box. Like my pasta maker attachment for my KA. They scare me. But I'm going to do it! You watch! :-)

coco cooks said...

Oh yours turned out so much prettier than mine. I love these cookies so, Im doing another batch.Love the cardamon flavor.

kelly said...

I was wondering about a pizelle maker. Smart! And they turned out so beautifully : ).

Andrea Meyers said...

The bowls look very pretty! We have a pizelle maker due to the huz's partial Italian heritage, so I actually made the krumkake with it when we did the first Gourmet event two years ago. Love the recipe.

Share This