Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Peanut Butter Triple Chocolate Chunk Blondies

Last week my daughter was born . . . today she drove herself to school for the first time. Okaaay, not last week. It was sixteen and a half years ago. But it feels like it was just last week. So it's a bit surreal, to say the least, that this child, who was most content when swaddled as tightly as a spring roll, is suddenly begging for the freedom to execute a solo mission to Target with her freshly minted license.
 
As I made this batch of blondies to celebrate her successful road test yesterday afternoon, she was on her phone, making plans to drive to Canada or California or the mall.
"Mom, is it okay if I take the car tonight?" she called, hand over the phone.
"But I'm making peanut butter blondies!" I yelped.
"Mom, be serious."
Maybe I couldn't keep her home with oven love, but I could delay activating her insurance coverage a few more hours ~ just long enough to deal with my pangs of apprehension and separation anxiety.

So we sat around and celebrated one more developmental milestone and reminisced about yesterday, when the only car keys she was interested in were plastic and attached to a teething ring.

Peanut Butter Triple Chocolate Chunk Blondies 

Recipe adapted from this one by Joy the Baker.
  • 5 ounces unsalted butter
  • 2 cups light brown sugar (see Notes)
  • 1 ¼ cups smooth peanut butter (I choose Jif)
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 large milk chocolate bar cut into chunks
  • ½ cup semisweet baking chips
  • ½ cup dark chocolate baking chips or chunks
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13” glass baking dish with nonstick spray, line with parchment, spray parchment.

In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter and sugar over medium heat until butter is melted, stirring to combine. Remove pan from heat. Stir peanut butter into butter mixture. Let cool for 10 minutes or so. Stir in beaten eggs and vanilla extract until smooth.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to peanut butter mixture and stir just until the wet ingredients are moistened. Batter will be very thick. Spread batter into prepared pan and level with a spatula. Bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and blondies are golden brown. Check at 20 minutes and then at 5-minute intervals thereafter.

Let pan cool on rack; pull gently up on parchment sling to remove blondies from pan. Cut into squares and serve.

Notes:

  • If you don't have brown sugar, you can make a perfect substitute by using one cup granulated sugar plus 2 tablespoons molasses for each cup of brown sugar called for in the recipe.  
  • I used about 2 cups of chocolate chunks total, which seemed like the perfect amount. 
  • You can replace half of the AP flour with whole wheat flour without too much drama.
  • You can use salted butter if you don't have unsalted; omit the added salt in this case.

2 comments:

Now Serving said...

All of you my blogger friends are saying it with fudges, brownies and blondies - and here I am willing one of these to transport on to my lap from my laptop ;) looks deliciously decadent!

Walt said...

I still haven't made these yet. I'm amazed at the self control I have at the moment. The second I buy the ingredients I don't currently have in the pantry is the day I start crying (because I imagine these are insanely delicious and because I imagine they won't be kind to my girlish figure... LOL!)

Share This