You can use the same batter for loaves or muffins, and both freeze well. If you like citrus, add the zest of an orange or lemon to the batter along with the extracts.
Almond-Poppy Quick Bread
Yield: 2 loaves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 11/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 11/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Divide batter evenly between prepared loaf pans.
3. Sprinkle each loaf with half of the sliced almonds and then half of the turbinado sugar. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each loaf comes out clean.
4. Let loaves cool in pans on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely before wrapping and storing.